Friday, August 8, 2008

New Books

This week I received a "new" set of books I purchased on Ebay. It is a complete set of the Harvard Classics - all 52 volumes. So far this week I have read from Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, from John Milton's poetry, from Cicero's treatise on friendship, and stories from the Brothers Grimm. These works are intriguing to me and the perspectives they give are fascinating.

John Milton's works are beautifully crafted. Cicero is a little bit deep and dry but very good when you find its rhythm. I have read the Brothers Grimm in the past, but it is a pleasure to read the unabridged versions. Benjamin Franklin was the most interesting to me this week. All my educational life I have been taught that he was a deist. His own words written in his autobiography prove this idea false. He prayed every day to the Supreme Being and even wrote the words of his prayer in his autobiography. Granted, he did lean strongly toward egotism, and tried to do much in his own strength (sound familiar to anyone?). But, his belief and even limited trust in God is undeniable. I will try to post some of his words in the near future.

In the meantime, I have National Guard Duty this weekend and will be quite busy. I trust you all will have a blessed couple of days of rest and relaxation! Enjoy!

No comments: