Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mystic Lessons: Honor in Humility

Such humility does not come easily. I must admit it is difficult for me to “Discern honor in humility.” I do not mean that I misunderstand the concept. I agree there is great honor in humility. However, living in genuine humility with honor is very difficult to do.
The key word here is “genuine.” It is easy to be outwardly self-deprecating and humble when people offer their congratulations. It is another thing entirely to not inwardly rejoice at the adulation.
I am not good at this. It is tough to be humble. I like to receive credit for what I do. I like to be praised by others for a good performance or a job well done. I like to be congratulated and recognized for contributions or achievements.
I must say that I am somewhat bewildered about how to introduce more honorable humility into my life. I do not think humility simply means embarrassment of one’s person or degradation of one’s psyche. I think it must mean more an attitude or spirit of kind gentleness that does not seek reward or compensation in exchange for grace or help or expect honor or reward for one’s deeds. Rather, it gives fully without reservation or expectation. To me this seems the most difficult of the lessons to learn.

No comments: