Friday, February 19, 2010

Mystic Lessons: Reality Within

Understanding lessons taught by the mystics – at least those listed in this paper – seems to me to be a lifelong venture. Some of these I barely comprehend at first blush. Others seem as familiar to me as my whole life. As I discuss them here, I will be exploring them “aloud” – thinking on paper.

“Look for the reality within” is the first lesson. There is a key word in this statement. It is a simple article: “the.” If one was to say, “Look for reality within,” many would agree with the idea and many would state that in some manner they have found some level of reality within themselves at some point in their lives. However, to say, “Look for the reality within,” speaks to several ideas including the possibilities of a single higher purpose or existence, an alternate dimension of understanding greater than mere day-to-day sensory perception, or the existence of an underlying fundamental reality shared by all. I think the mystics would have agreed with the latter definition.
As with all things, it is one thing to comprehend a concept, another to analyze it in one’s self and a different thing altogether to delineate it. I can honestly say that I have looked for reality within myself all my life. It is as much a part of who I am as is my environment and upbringing.
Raised in a family where spirituality and a “God-ward” outlook were encouraged, I was sensitive to conscience at an early age. Particularly in my teenage years as my perception of the world broadened and my exposure to new ideas and cultures enlarged, I found my reliance on my inner “voice” increasing.
When confronted with ideas that questioned core beliefs I held, I relied on my inner sensitivity to sort out what was logical, what was right and wrong, and what was true. I carefully compared ideas, weighed their ramifications, and considered their consequences, always listening within myself for that inner confirmation that I was on the right track.
Today, I still listen for that inward sense although, as an adult, it is often hidden in a cacophony of other voices. I constantly strive to align my living with what I believe to be true and most important in life. When it does not align, I feel off-balance and uncertain. I would say then, that the inward voice propels me to remain on an even keel and to maintain a realistic big-picture perspective on life.
So, in many ways, the reality within me shapes the outward expressions of reality in my existence. As I mentioned before, I was much more aware of the inner voice as a teenager and young adult. As I have moved into adulthood, its keenness has faded some. To return to a point where I can once again shape my world with a reliance on what I believe to be fundamentally true, I need to spend more time in quiet meditation and study to once again be in tune.
If a cellist holds his instrument next to a piano, when the piano keys are struck, the corresponding notes will sound from the cello strings even though it has not been played. The cello strings are resonating at the same frequency as the sound waves emanating from the piano. In the same way, I want to be in tune with that inner voice so that my life resonates with what is good and true.

No comments: