Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mystic Lessons: Joy in Service

Why do I want more of my current life to come into focus? Because I have some big decisions to make that will impact the rest of my life and I want to make the right ones. I want to live a life of meaning and do things to make a difference in the lives of other people. This usually means to “Find joy in service.”
Throughout my life I have found the greatest satisfaction when serving: when truly serving not just nominally. As a young adult, I ministered to an assisted-living community of senior adults who were still in possession of all their cognitive faculties. I loved these people and it was not difficult to serve them. I enjoyed spending time with them learning from their lives. I did not mind going to the hospital to encourage them when they were sick. I did not mind setting aside other plans to spend time with them. They were valuable to me and I found great fulfillment sharing life with them.
A few years ago, I was outside mowing my grass. I felt a strong impression to go over and mow my neighbor’s grass. I ignored the feeling. It took me an hour to mow my own grass. I had no desire to spend forty-five minutes mowing the grass of a neighbor I barely knew. However, the feeling persisted. I selfishly continued to fight it; but finally I decided that I should do it. So I finished my yard and went into theirs and continued mowing.
Upon my completion of the task, the neighbor came out of the house almost in tears, grateful for my help. She shared that her husband had hurt his wrist (or shoulder) and could not push the mower. She also was physically prohibited from doing it. Their children are handicapped and could not do it, and their church friends had been unable to fit in their schedules. So, my simple act of conflicted unselfishness had incredible value to them.
I was very humbled by this and learned a great lesson in the joy of service. I am reminded to do these things more often: to go out of my way, to set my agenda aside and help others. In it is great satisfaction.

No comments: