Saturday, February 20, 2010

Mystic Lessons: Meaning in Mystery

In the same manner, this is how I have tried to “Find meaning in mystery” – the next lesson of the mystics. I always look to my inner sensitivities to try to understand the “mysteries” in life. By definition, a mystery is something profound, not understood, or difficult to understand. This sounds like a whole lot of life to me. That is why this one is one of the tougher ones for me. I’m not sure I really know how to address it.
As an individual I always have wrestled with what I did not understand. My favorite question as a boy (much to my father’s friends’ chagrin) was, “Why?” I asked this question about everything and in all reality still ask it nearly every day of my life. I question the smallest things such as “why does that bolt go there?” But, I also am perplexed by larger questions such as “How can a loving God permit the molestation of an infant?” These are mysteries to me.
Somewhere in the middle are the mysteries of what the love of a wife or father means; who or what inputs the essence of soul into a child; how do we define beauty, and why do we love magnificence?
In these mysteries I find meaning every day. I may not be able to answer the questions or define their meanings, but I do relish being in the arms of my wife. I love my children fanatically. I notice the sunrise, and I pause with an intake of breath when I view a sky spangled with stars.
So how do I find meaning in mystery? I find the meaning when I stop trying to understand. I find meaning when I accept it for what it is whether I understand or not, and just revel in it. I guess that’s part of the mystery!

No comments: